A timeline of the history of St. Gregory the Great Catholic Church.
1859 -- Priest started serving Catholics in our area. The priest rode a circuit on horseback and gathered settlers together for Mass,
administering the Sacraments, gave instructions and comfort.
1862 -- St. Gregory’s was officially recognized as a Parish.
1875 -- First church building was completed at 1200 Spring Street.
1877 -- Four acres were purchased for St. Gregory’s Catholic Cemetery.
1879 -- Second church building was completed at 7th & Carolina Streets
1881 -- First Catholic School started in the church near the depot.
1883 -- Rev. Aloysius Meile was our first resident priest.
1884 -- Church committee selected the site ‘on the hill’ for the third church building at 13th & Carolina.
1895 -- Third church was dedicated by Rt. Rev. Bishop Fink, OSB.
1898 -- Rectory was built by Father Schmickler.
1906 -- St. Gregory’s School was dedicated.
1907 -- Historical Sketch – St. Gregory’s Parish – First parish history was written by Father August Redeker.
1911 -- Spire was added to the church.
1922 -- A 20 foot addition was added to the east side of the church building.
1926 -- A home was purchased at 1310 Carolina for use as a convent for the nuns teaching at St. Gregory’s.
1951 -- Father Grosdidier directed the building of the present school building.
1975 -- Construction began on the fourth church building at 1310 Carolina Street.
2000 -- The Rectory burned down. A residence at 208 North 14th Street was purchased for use as the rectory.
2001 -- Construction of a school addition and Parish Center.
2005 -- First St Gregory’s All School Alumni Reunion. Playground and parking lot was renovated.
2009 -- Plans were being made to renovate the church.
2011 -- A Journey of Faith – Second parish history written by Arleta (Schmitz) Martin, Dolores (Pitsch) Bruna and Marla (Kane) Dwerlkotte.
Graphics and design were by Denise Nordhus.
2012 -- 150th Anniversary Celebration of St. Gregory’s Parish.
2015 -- Fundraising and construction started for ‘new’ church.
2018 -- New Church (5th church building) at 1310 Carolina Street was completed and dedicated on May 26, 2018.
A complete history of St. Gregory the Great Catholic Church is available in “A Journey of Faith, a 150 year history of St. Gregory the Great Catholic Church.” This 300 plus page, hard cover library edition contains a written history of the development of the church, pictures of three of the four church buildings, pictures of the priests who served our parish, information on the Rectory and St. Gregory’s Cemetery, and miscellaneous stories of events and happenings in our parish over the past 150 years.
“A Journey of Faith” can be purchased for $35.00 at the Parish Office. Books can be shipped, but shipping charges will apply.